Text Size

Parts & Accessories

Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Check out this forum to find links of online vendors with spare parts, mags, holsters and other items.

Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby wickersham » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 am

Called Magnum Research today to get a few sparts just in case, one item on my list was a firing pin.

I was told it was "factory install only" and given an explanation about the timing having to be set (fancy term for making sure the decocker lever notch engages properly). Obviously they want you to send the gun in for this service and charge and arm and a leg.

I see that that e-gunparts.com has some firing pins but am unsure if it is universal to all the sizes (compact and fullsize). I have a compact model. I know the firing pin in a FS .45 is longer, but am hoping it is related to it being a "large frame" Tanfoglio as opposed to the "small frame" 9mm & .40.

Could someone with a full or midsize 9mm or .40 be so kind as to measure the length of your firing pin for me so I can see if it is the same length as what it is my compact before I order?
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
User avatar
wickersham
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:42 pm
Location: KY

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby mattyj513 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Just a heads up, trying to get a hold of numrich for further details on parts seems to be a losing battle. I sent an inquiry about their grips to see if they have or will have for the .45 mid and haven't gotten any response. Tried calling, endless busy signal.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
User avatar
mattyj513
Site Admin
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:11 am
Location: Floral Park, NY

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby joetama » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:07 am

In my detailed 'strip' and inspection of my Jericho after I broke and installed my new extractor I removed the firing pin. Then I reinstalled it. Everything works fine. Not sure what the big fuss is about. Sounds like you should try calling back and talking to someone else.
User avatar
joetama
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby wickersham » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:23 am

joetama wrote:In my detailed 'strip' and inspection of my Jericho after I broke and installed my new extractor I removed the firing pin. Then I reinstalled it. Everything works fine. Not sure what the big fuss is about. Sounds like you should try calling back and talking to someone else.


Yes, I explained that but he was adamant about "tuning" the new pin. I don't need a new pin, just wanted a spare.

Do you have a fullsize? Could you measure the length of the pin? If it is same I will just order from someone else.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
User avatar
wickersham
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:42 pm
Location: KY

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby wickersham » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 am

btt - could someone be kind enough to measure the length of their firing pin on a full or midsize.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
User avatar
wickersham
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:42 pm
Location: KY

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby aeromaestro » Tue May 04, 2010 6:30 am

I'm new here and just signed up after finally purchasing a Jericho 9mm full frame w/ rail. I would measure mine if I had any idea on how to remove and install it without screwing it up ( not the best person with regards to such things ).
aeromaestro
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 6:08 am

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby wickersham » Tue May 04, 2010 12:01 pm

aeromaestro wrote:I'm new here and just signed up after finally purchasing a Jericho 9mm full frame w/ rail. I would measure mine if I had any idea on how to remove and install it without screwing it up ( not the best person with regards to such things ).


Thanks for the offer, but another member has provided me the info. But as for your question, if you use a punch (or Glock tool works good too), press the firing pin into the channel and the firing plate should slide down easily - remove the plate and the firing pin and spring comes right out.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
User avatar
wickersham
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:42 pm
Location: KY

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby aeromaestro » Sun May 09, 2010 12:31 pm

wickersham wrote:
aeromaestro wrote:I'm new here and just signed up after finally purchasing a Jericho 9mm full frame w/ rail. I would measure mine if I had any idea on how to remove and install it without screwing it up ( not the best person with regards to such things ).


Thanks for the offer, but another member has provided me the info. But as for your question, if you use a punch (or Glock tool works good too), press the firing pin into the channel and the firing plate should slide down easily - remove the plate and the firing pin and spring comes right out.

Ah, it's the same way it's done on the 1911. Now, I feel really silly. Well, back to my harassing e-mails to holster manufacturers in an attempt to get a holster for my Jericho/light combo. Futile effort; I know, LOL.
aeromaestro
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 6:08 am

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby mattyj513 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Blackwater makes a universal one that allows for a rail accessory.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
User avatar
mattyj513
Site Admin
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:11 am
Location: Floral Park, NY

Re: Firing pin a "factory install item only" - WTH?

Postby bczrx » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:17 pm

[quote="wickersham
Thanks for the offer, but another member has provided me the info. ...[/quote]


Could you post the dimensions for the rest of us? Thanks
IWI/Magnum Research Baby Eagle full-sized 9mm slide safety, and a bunch of non-jerichos.
bczrx
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:44 am
Location: Bakersfield, California

Next

Return to Parts & Accessories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 270 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:05 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest