Text Size

Tech Room

Used Baby Eagle has a handful of issues.

The place to share any problems you have with your gun and find the appropriate fix for it.

Used Baby Eagle has a handful of issues.

Postby Torque556 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 am

941forum.com,

I've brought my new-to-me Baby Eagle 9mm to the range yesterday for the first time. I've shot about 50 hand loads, 250 Winchester white box (FMJ 115 gr) and 30 Lellier&Bellot FMJ 115 gr. The majority of the time, on an empty magazine, the slide would fail to lock back. Maybe 25% of the time it would successfully lock. I'm guessing it's a magazine problem. It happened reguardless of ammunition used. I've currently only got a 10-round magazine with the only mark on it being a T with a rounded-cornered triangle around it.

The second issue with the pistol is a failure to eject. Maybe short stroke? The spent cartredge would get caught up in the ejection port, usually with the bullet end facing upward. This also happened with all ammunition.

ETA: I did tear apart the pistol PRIOR to shooting to clean and lube. All looked good. The magazine looked fine too.

Handloads fired:
147 gr Hornady XTP to ensure hollow points feed properly
3.6 gr of Winchester 231
Winchester small pistol primer
x25

115 gr Ranier FMJ round nose
3.5 gr Alliant Red Dot
Winchester small pistol primer
x25

Thanks in advance,
Torque556
Torque556

Re: Used Baby Eagle has a handful of issues.

Postby wickersham » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Couple of things to consider come to mind.

1. Weak mag springs (slide not locking)
2. Weak recoil spring (slide not locking, FTE)
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby kraigster414 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:39 pm

Forget the testing with reloads because there are just too many variable in play that can cause problems, one being overall length and a too light powder charge just for starters. Your powder weights listed really don't help much unless the reader has had experience using those powders with the same weight bullets, or has a reloading manual in front of him and mine shows no data for Red Dot with the 115 grainer or WW231 for the 147 grainer.

A couple of questions...what magazines do you have? The brand and what is the color of the follower?

Second, and I don't mean to insult but failures to extract are often linked to limp wristing. You need to grip the gun tightly.

Two other causes and already mentioned could be the mag springs and/or the slide lock lever. I kind of doubt the recoil spring is the problem. The gun would really have had to be fired a lot. How many rounds did it have through it?
Jericho 941 mid-size 9mm poly with: DPM recoil reduction unit, Armalaser SR-2, Meprolilght ML 19593 night sights
kraigster414

Postby mattyj513 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:49 pm

Two posts you may want to check out are the recoil reduction thread and the magazine reviews. The mag thread can, at minimum help you figure out which mag you have, and the recoil reduction has improved a couple of members shooting performance and quality. Give those posts a once over and let us know what you think back on this thread.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby Torque556 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm

I've got one magazine, and I'm not sure of the brand. The pictures below might help identify it. There's only one marking on the magazine, which has a black follower.

I understand most people can't say anything about the hand loads, but I posted the information just in case. I only shot 50 hand loads, but shot about 300 factory rounds, so needless to say, the majority of the failures were with factory ammunition.

And if I were limp-wristing, wouldn't that cause an FTE the majority of the time? I failed to mention the FTEs would only happen occasionally, maybe once every 20 rounds or so. There we 4 shooters also, two of us are experienced shooters, the other two are not. FTEs and failure to lock back happened to everyone.

Torque556

Postby L5K » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Those are Tanfoglio magazines, that's what the T in the triangle means. Tanfoglio is the Italian company who designed and produces the Witness pistol, which the Jericho is almost identical to on the inside. I'm guessing the "follower ear" thing has reared it's head on the 9mm for now. Check out these threads for more info on what I'm talking about. Check for differences in your followers that do, and do not lock the slide back. If it's confirmed that the followers are not contacting your slide stop, I would look into either modifying your slide stop (I did mine and it's easy) or possibly even using an EAA or CZ slide stop in your pistol which will have a longer tab for contact with the follower.

Anyway, the threads are as follows:
http://www.941forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=86
http://www.941forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101

See if that answers some questions, or even raises more lol.
"It is a mistake to suppose that all men want to be free. On the contrary, if freedom entails responsibility, many of them want none of it." -Theodore Darymple
L5K

Postby Torque556 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:03 pm

L5K wrote:See if that answers some questions, or even raises more lol.

Well it seems I've got the original follower and slide catch. Which makes me wonder still why it might not want to lock back. It'll lock back fine just hand-cycling it. I might be limp-wristing it, who knows. But I don't think so. :roll: I'll try some new magazines and that recoil-reduction system and see how things go.
Torque556

Postby kraigster414 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:11 pm

L5, this is getting more confusing. I thought only the T mags (designed for the EAA Witness) with the ORANGE followers were potentially a problem in the Jericho 941. The orange followers sit higher in the mag and are of a different design as your photo indicated. I have 9mm 16 round T mags with both the black and the orange followers. I plan to test both. In the meantime I am using the only two Magnum Research Baby Eagle mags I have for carry until I get it all sorted out.
Jericho 941 mid-size 9mm poly with: DPM recoil reduction unit, Armalaser SR-2, Meprolilght ML 19593 night sights
kraigster414

Postby L5K » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:19 pm

I also have some black followers that are in Tanfoglio magazines. They are of the same design as my orange ones. My factory magazines have red followers. All in all, I think that the best option (cheapest) is to find a slide stop with a longer tab, or to make the tab on yours a little longer. This SHOULD allow you to use the magazines you already have, and also any future magazines you purchase without worrying about the followers. Mine functions with all mags and followers since I did the modification and I don't worry about it any more. IMO that's better than tracking down specific followers and manufacturers. I just buy what's got the best price. Note though that mine is in .40, so follower color may be different for 9mm magazines. Also, the color of the follower might not really mean anything, as they can inject any color into either mold at any time they want.
"It is a mistake to suppose that all men want to be free. On the contrary, if freedom entails responsibility, many of them want none of it." -Theodore Darymple
L5K

Postby kraigster414 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:25 pm

All I can say is, what a goat romp. You are correct I just checked...all the EAA Witness T mag followers regardless of whether black or orange are the same design. I gotta test these suckers or I'm going to go nuts. This has been very educational, frustrating but educational. :D But it shows the value of forums, together we'll get there. In a year from now, we'll look back at this thread and laugh.
kraigster414

Next

Return to Tech Room