Text Size

Tech Room

Decocker Safety Issue?

The place to share any problems you have with your gun and find the appropriate fix for it.

Decocker Safety Issue?

Postby th3ug1y0n3 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:02 pm

I've been full of questions lately, not too many answer responses though but will give it a shot again.

I have a BE 9mm with a decocker and the potential problem is with the safety. When I engage the safety I can still pull on the trigger and it engages the hammer. Typically it releases before it cocks it back all the way but it has gone all the way back before. Now that is where the decocker helps because the decocker still pull in the trigger pin so that there is no contact between the hammer and the firing pin. I have noticed that when i place downward pressure to the top of the slide the sear does not engage the hammer. Any recommendations here.
th3ug1y0n3

Re: Decocker Safety Issue?

Postby wickersham » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:18 pm

That is not normal. when the safety is engaged, the trigger should pull back all the way back without engaging the hammer at all. Have you removed the sear assembly and reinstalled to see if that helps? What about with the slide off engaging the safety lever - do you see the little pin protrude from the bottom?
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby th3ug1y0n3 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:55 pm

I do see theand it does push down on the sear. I have two BE and it does it on both of them. I almost have to actually try to make this happen. I do this by pulling on the trigger until the first stop then I pull on the trigger adding with a little additional pressure applied to the side. Most of the time it slips and does no engage the trigger but if I catch it just right it will engage the hammer, but usually slips off. I think that the best remedy it just not to try to do this. I still plan on removing the sear and replacing it and will provide an update.
th3ug1y0n3

Postby th3ug1y0n3 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:20 pm

Just fyi I was having the issue with a BE 3.6 poly compact 9 mm (now that was a mouth full. Anyways I compared the safety action with my steel compact 9mm and noticed that it did not do the same thing. It did not catch at all. I compated the sears and the poly version had a notch in the sear, which is what was causing the problem. I also think that i screwed myself because I went a little further and disassembled the sear assembly and now I can not put the spring back in. Any tip for the installation of the spring will be appreiciated. Also swapped the sear assembly and put the steel's sear in the poly and it now works perfectly. I plan on ordering a sear replacement to get this fixed.

Thanks for the help and if you have any tips for installing the spring I would appreciate it.
th3ug1y0n3

Postby wickersham » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:47 am

th3ug1y0n3 wrote:I also think that i screwed myself because I went a little further and disassembled the sear assembly and now I can not put the spring back in. Any tip for the installation of the spring will be appreiciated. Also swapped the sear assembly and put the steel's sear in the poly and it now works perfectly. I plan on ordering a sear replacement to get this fixed.

Thanks for the help and if you have any tips for installing the spring I would appreciate it.

I have never taken my dissasembly that far on the sear. It should be the same process as an EAA witness and maybe a CZ - maybe youtube has some videos on it.
wickersham

Postby th3ug1y0n3 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 pm

Ssnding my sear into Magnum Research for them to take a look at it.
th3ug1y0n3

Postby th3ug1y0n3 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:17 pm

What a crock of crap!!!!! I am done with Magnum Research. I sent my sear to MR for them to take a look at a dent, notch, indention or whatever they want to call it which was located on the sear assembly. They sent it back stating that it was damaged and caused by my firearm.

I have posted a picture of the sear assembly and it is pretty apparent that if it was damaged the sear would be shinny in the area that it was damaged. If you look at the sear you can see that the dented area is black. This is how I received it and if was damaged i think it would look like shinney steel all the way down.

Then they say not to use the sear assembly from my other BE Compact which is working perfectly fine in it. Now they want me to be without by piece and charge me 80 dollars and shipping or 40 dollars. This is BS. It will come out cheaper just to order the part and fix it myself.

(Edit: Shows comparison of the two sear assemblies, no real difference except for the dent which is not a scarred notch or from damage.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by th3ug1y0n3 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
th3ug1y0n3

Postby wickersham » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Yeah, MR support is bad unless you are ordering parts, and even then many parts they won't send because they consider them "gunsmith only." (Like a firing pin).

Get your part from Numrich and forget about MR.
wickersham

Postby mattyj513 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:29 pm

wickersham wrote:Yeah, MR support is bad unless you are ordering parts, and even then many parts they won't send because they consider them "gunsmith only." (Like a firing pin).

Get your part from Numrich and forget about MR.

+1. They tried to rob a few members attempting to order new firing pins. Terrible CS and even worse integrity.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby th3ug1y0n3 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Update: What an experience!!! Not sure if I mentioned it but I lost the sear spring while I was trying to reassemble the sear assembly. The sear spring shot off two times and the second time I was not able to find it. So I had to order another one. I finally got in the mail today and used a technique that I found on the web and voila it worked...whew... 8-)

With the new sping installed it seems that the hammer is not catching now. I do still feel where the pin unengages the sear due to the dent in the sear safety lever but at least it does not engage the hammer like it used to do.

While I was doing some research on parts for this piece it seems that I may have what is considered a combat sear in the poly version while the steel version has the standard version sear. I am not sure but was just a thought due to the pictures that I found on the Tanfoglio Italian website. Anyways now it works....

I went a head and posted some pictures of comparison of the sear installed just in case anyone would like to get a visual of what I am talking about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
th3ug1y0n3

Next

Return to Tech Room