Text Size

Tech Room

IMI 9mm BE Goes to half cock from double action

The place to share any problems you have with your gun and find the appropriate fix for it.

IMI 9mm BE Goes to half cock from double action

Postby COFirearmsInstructor » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 pm

I have an IMI Baby Eagle I purchased used in the mid 90s. It ran like a swiss watch for many thousand rounds. I let a woman use it for my basic pistol course and when she was firing from double action it started going to half cock. It would do it a couple times then start working correctly again for a while.

She finished the class with my Witness and now I am going to take the thing apart and see what's what. I decided to check here and see if this sounded familiar to anyone.
COFirearmsInstructor

Re: IMI 9mm BE Goes to half cock from double action

Postby mattyj513 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Never seen that happen, sounds like either a worn spring or a worn engagement surface in the hammer assembly. Could also possibly be excessive buildup on an engagement surface.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby boscoman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Plz post what you find. I have a Bul Cherokee that once in blue moon will do this.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

A quote by the Great Genghis Khan to Islam "I am the flail of God.If you had not committed great sins, God would have not sent a punishment like me upon you"
boscoman

Postby hal1955 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:32 am

It's not uncommon with cz75 pattern guns. The timing goes out of whack due to wear. There are several threads on this at the CZ forum.The hammer hooks might be worn and don't lift the sear enough to clear the half cock notch. I've seen people remove the half cock notch and the gun runs ok. Sometimes sear cage movement can cause this problem also. Check out the cz forum, the BE and Jericho are both cz 75 pattern guns and all the problems you will run into willl have threads in the gunsmith section. http://www.czforum.com/
also here : http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=40.0
hal1955

Postby boscoman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:21 am

Thanks for the info.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

A quote by the Great Genghis Khan to Islam "I am the flail of God.If you had not committed great sins, God would have not sent a punishment like me upon you"
boscoman

Postby COFirearmsInstructor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks. I'll pull it apart and see if is worn or just some crud.
COFirearmsInstructor

Return to Tech Room