Text Size

Tech Room

Drifting rear sight

The place to share any problems you have with your gun and find the appropriate fix for it.

Drifting rear sight

Postby Calico Jack » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I have a full-size steel frame Jericho with the older rear sight and I've noticed that over time my rear sight will drift off to the side. The real kicker is that it is really snug and difficult to move back so I have no idea what would be producing the power to move it out of alignment. I don't carry it, and it mostly stays in its case. I talked to a guy at a gun store who recommended having it "staked" but I've held off on that to install some meprolight sights. Has anyone else had this problem, or can you think of what may be causing something like this to happen?
Calico Jack

Re: Drifting rear sight

Postby boscoman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Thats weird to say the least. When I replaced my sights I had to use a brass punch & hammer them out. I don't believe that the pistol's recoil can produce that kind of movement.
Is your wife (are you married?) trying to make you think you are going nuts? Does she have a hammer & brass punch?
Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

A quote by the Great Genghis Khan to Islam "I am the flail of God.If you had not committed great sins, God would have not sent a punishment like me upon you"
boscoman

Postby Calico Jack » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Haha, as for the wife, I'm going to have to answer yes and no to that question in that yes, I'm fairly certain she is trying to drive me nuts, but no, I think she's sticking to other methods to achieve that goal.

I'm completely baffled by it. When I put it back into place it takes a lot of effort to move it, and yet the dang thing winds up moving seemingly on its own with no apparent force exerted. It tends to move to the left which *is* the side that gravity would draw it towards as it is sitting stored, but short of discovering a freakish black hole sitting at the bottom of my safe exerting an undue amount of gravity directly beneath my rear sight, I'm a little skeptical about that being the source of the problem.
Calico Jack

Postby boscoman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Well the quick fix @ this point might be to just go with the Meprolight sights & see if the problem continues. If it does I would be tempted at that point to stake them in a bit. Not so much that they can never be replaced, but enough to be sure they don't move (just to the side that they slide to).

A quote by the Great Genghis Khan to Islam "I am the flail of God.If you had not committed great sins, God would have not sent a punishment like me upon you"
boscoman

Postby wickersham » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Calico Jack wrote:Haha, as for the wife, I'm going to have to answer yes and no to that question in that yes, I'm fairly certain she is trying to drive me nuts, but no, I think she's sticking to other methods to achieve that goal.

I'm completely baffled by it. When I put it back into place it takes a lot of effort to move it, and yet the dang thing winds up moving seemingly on its own with no apparent force exerted. It tends to move to the left which *is* the side that gravity would draw it towards as it is sitting stored, but short of discovering a freakish black hole sitting at the bottom of my safe exerting an undue amount of gravity directly beneath my rear sight, I'm a little skeptical about that being the source of the problem.

another option to try would be to put a few drops of red loctite in the dovetail once you have it where you want it - it will "bond" the sights in place so to speak and is not permanent.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby boscoman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

The red loctite is a good idea. Just be sure to clean the area with something like some alchohol so it bonds well.

boscoman

Postby Calico Jack » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Thats a good call Wickersham, I'll give that a shot
Calico Jack

Return to Tech Room