Text Size

Tech Room

How to make EAA magazines/followers lock the slide back.

The place to share any problems you have with your gun and find the appropriate fix for it.

How to make EAA magazines/followers lock the slide back.

Postby L5K » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:59 pm

For those who don't know the Jericho/Baby Eagle is a clone of an Italian manufactured clone of the CZ75. The EAA Witness, made by Tanfoglio, is the "sister" gun to the Jericho/Baby Eagle. Many parts are interchangable, and the Witness magazines (for small frame witnesses in 9mm and .40) are identical to the magazines used in the Jericho/Baby Eagle. This is for full sized, steel pistols, although I think it holds true for the compact models as well. The only problem with using an EAA magazine in a Jericho/Baby Eagle is that the followers will not lock the slide back on the last round. This is due to an extra shoulder being added to the IMI magazines and a shorter slide stop in them. I have modified my .40 Baby Eagle so that it works flawlessly with both EAA, and IMI magazines. It is very easy to do, and all that is needed is a welder, a file and some bluing.

If you have access to a welder, or a friend who has one, you can modify the slide release so that both Tanfoglio and Magnum Research Followers will hold the slide back. All you have to do is add material to the lug that the follower engages. Took me about 15 minutes to weld, file, and re-blue the piece.... Here's pics.

These are .40, but it should be the same scenario...

This is a picture of the difference in the two followers Magnum Research original on the right, aftermarket on the left.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/PinkLuigi/HPIM0530.jpg

This is a picture of the magazine in the gun with the slide removed. The arrows point to the original lug on the slide release, and the extension I welded on.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/PinkLuigi/sliderelease.jpg

I have put a couple thousand rounds through the gun in over three years with this modification and have had no malfunctions with anything, and it always locks back with any of my magazines now.

I now use the $16.99 12 round EAA magazines from CDNN in my .40 full sized steel Baby Eagle.http://www.cdnninvestments.com/wit40sw41aco.html

I just figured this info might help other Jericho/Baby Eagle owners out there.

Oh and awesome we have our own forum now!

EDITED: It seems my pictures are too big for this forum to display, changed them to links.
Last edited by L5K on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It is a mistake to suppose that all men want to be free. On the contrary, if freedom entails responsibility, many of them want none of it." -Theodore Darymple
L5K

Re: How to make EAA magazines/followers lock the slide back.

Postby kraigster414 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:32 pm

L5, a great post. I have a combination of EAA Witness, the mags that came with the gun and mags ordered from Magnum Research for my Jericho 941 16-round poly mid-size 9mm. And I just received an orange EAA mag from Big State Distr. with the polymer base whose orange follower design is exactly as depicted in your photo. I have not tired it yet in my 941 but now you've got me concerned. I'll have to make a special trip to the range to test it out. In fact, I am going to test all my Jericho mags now to make sure they function properly, i.e, slide locks back after the last round. By chance is this issue only limited to the .40 SW or 9mm too?

I have provided this link to Paul at Big State and am interested in his comments. I have been very impressed with their knowledge and customer service.

http://www.bigstatedist.com/
Jericho 941 mid-size 9mm poly with: DPM recoil reduction unit, Armalaser SR-2, Meprolilght ML 19593 night sights
kraigster414

Postby L5K » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm really not sure if it effects the 9mm too, but I believe it does. You could check it before you head to the range by just putting the empty magazines in and pulling the slide back. If it locks, then the mag should be good to go, if it doesn't lock without you manually doing it, then it probably won't when firing. Another way to check would be to remove the slide, and put the slide stop back into the frame. Then, insert the empty magazines, if the follower engages the slide stop, then it should work fine.

I ran into this issue when I ordered some EAA 12 round mags because they were much cheaper than the Magnum Research 13 rounders for my pistol. I figured it would be best to go ahead and make the pistol use a wider range of magazines rather than track down specific mags with a certain follower.

I have heard that 9mm CZ75 magazines will work in a 9mm Jericho/Baby Eagle, however that's just what I've read somewhere.
"It is a mistake to suppose that all men want to be free. On the contrary, if freedom entails responsibility, many of them want none of it." -Theodore Darymple
L5K

Postby kraigster414 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

I just checked my assortment of mags for my 941 mid size 9mm and two have the orange followers. I will do a manual slide lock test but now wish I had the black followers in all my 941 mags. This is an important thread and probably should be a sticky.
Jericho 941 mid-size 9mm poly with: DPM recoil reduction unit, Armalaser SR-2, Meprolilght ML 19593 night sights
kraigster414

Postby L5K » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:51 pm

I have two magazines with red followers and the "bulge" that came with the gun. Three of them that have orange followers and no bulge (these did not engage the factory slide stop), and two of them with black followers and no bulge. I don't know if the black ones would have locked the slide back for me, as I didn't get them until after I already modified my slide stop. I can say that they worked great when I got them though.

This is all for a .40 though. I don't know if the followers are different for the different calibers, but I imagine they probably are.
L5K

Postby wickersham » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Lot of good info here L5K - deserves a sticky. ;)
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby wickersham » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:08 pm

L5K wrote:EDITED: It seems my pictures are too big for this forum to display, changed them to links.

Let me check into this. If you insert them as an attachment, they should downscale to fit in the window and when clicked on expand to full size, at least that is how it is working in the picture threads. Let me know if this method does not work, Thanks.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby kraigster414 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:30 pm

L5, I just manually tested the two orange follower mags in my mid-size 941 poly 9mm. With both, the slide locks back on the empty mags, no problem. I'd like to live fire test nevertheless. The other thing I noticed, is that the orange followers do stick up more and thus it requires more of a push on the base of the mag to insert/lock into the frame.

If the mags with the orange followers feed fine and the slide locks after the last round during my live fire test, I suspect the issue you described may be limited to the .40 (?). I'd like to hear from others. Again, thanks. Rich

I'll post again as soon as I have a chance to go to the range.
kraigster414

Postby kraigster414 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Live Fire Update....Zero problems for me using the out-of-the-bag EAA Witness 16 round 9mm mags in the POLYMER Jericho 941 mid-size/full size (can't speak for any of the .40 Jericho 941s). Ditto for zero problems with the OEM Magnum Research BABY EAGLE 9mm 15 round mags in the POLYMER Jericho 941. YES to problems however with the Mec-Gar CZ75 16-round 9mm mags in the POLYMER 9mm Jericho 941 and it has nothing to do with the follower or mag catch. They are too tight and will not drop out of the grip loaded or unloaded. In the POLYMER 9mm Jericho full size/mid-size 941's, stick to the OEM Magnum Research BABY EAGLE 9mm mags or the EAA Witness mags. You'll be good to go. I suspect the same is true for the Jericho 941 Poly 9mm compact or any of the all-steel Jericho 941 9mm's.
kraigster414

Postby Caiphas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:11 am

Does anyone know if the EAA slide catch is longer or is the Jericho frame wider? If the EAA slide catch actually extends farther over the magazine it seems that the easiest thing to do would be to just swap out the slide catch if you don't have a welder available.
Caiphas

Next

Return to Tech Room