Text Size
Board index Ammo Bunker Reloading

Reloading

Re-Loading Package - any good?

For those that like to roll their own.

Re-Loading Package - any good?

Postby ADV » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 am

OK I'm in, just spent a large part of my 2 days off driving around looking for 38 special for my new snubby. In the end I paid $18/50 for some nasty aluminum ammo just so I could shoot it.
I'm looking initially at a basic press to start off with and am looking at this Lee kit with the Pro Auto disk upgrade:

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?pag ... &Itemid=41

I just need 9mm and 38special/357 mag initially but may want to try 357 Sig and 308 Win in the future.
Am I heading in the right direction???
'Man Is Born Free, And Everywhere He Is In Chains' - Rousseau
ADV

Re: Re-Loading Package - any good?

Postby kraigster414 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:36 pm

It's a good starter kit for not a lot of money. Great way to test the waters. If you really get into reloading, you can later upgrade. Start simple.
Jericho 941 mid-size 9mm poly with: DPM recoil reduction unit, Armalaser SR-2, Meprolilght ML 19593 night sights
kraigster414

Postby cz75luver » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

That's the system I started reloading with (and still use) and it's not bad for the casual shooter. What's really nice is that you can buy additional turrets, dies and/or powder measures and it only takes seconds to switch between calibers. I switch between 9mm, .223Rem, .38 Spl and .45ACP.
cz75luver

Postby ADV » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks guys, looks like I'm off on a new adventure.
'Man Is Born Free, And Everywhere He Is In Chains' - Rousseau
ADV

Postby raymillsus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:56 pm

The only thing that I can reccomend with that set up. (I have the same one) Is every 25 or so rounds recheck the powder weight. I have found that it does depend on the amount of powder you have in the hopper as to how much it throws. Not usually more but less. I think the weight of the powder helps fill the disk. Just an FYI. And of course get a reloading manual. I never remember the load recipies I always read them every time I reload. I do not trust my memeory on somthing so important. Have fun you have just started a new hoby that you will enjoy almost as much as your bank account will.

-Ray
raymillsus

Postby joetama » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Small single stage presses are nice, but if you shoot any volume at all you might be best to look into a Dillon XL 550 or 650. I've got the XL 650 and love it, best investment to shooting I've ever made.

Right now I have setups for 40 S&W, 44 Rem Mag, 45 ACP, 30-40 Krag, and def plan on getting a setup for 5.56 when I finally get an AR.
joetama

Postby Maksim » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm

It is a great press for the money, and a great in between (single stage and full progressive). It IS THE PRESS to start learning on, and is the perfect press for Rifle reloading.

For pistol reloading it is good, however if you shoot more than 500 rounds a week, you will want to move to a progressive.

I am a LEE dealer, so if you want me to set you up with the whole package, let me know.

Also, make sure you know the difference between the Lee Turret Press in the Deluxe package, versus the one you want, the Lee Classic Turret Press.

the classic has a higher opening that allows you to do any caliber, as well as features a much stronger linkage. The Classic does not come in a "kit." Kemp's just put it together from separate items.
Maksim

Postby rat907 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:43 am

I've been a hardcore LEE fan since my start in the reload scene. I started with a Hand press* and die set. For 3.5 years I had loaded 450-500 rounds of 38 spl., 100 rounds 300 Win Mag and 100 rounds 6.5 X 50 Japanese EVERY week for my Saturday all-day shoot in the early 1990's.

Since then, I had moved from Alaska to Nevada and purchased a Cast "O" frame single stage* as my main press. I still have my Hand Press* just in case of SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, since it packs easily and it is mount-free.

*from my above statement, a single stage suits me fine for volume loading. It also affords me the "anal retenitive" attention to detail like a precision shooter, if I so choose.
Just another clown with guns™
אני תומך בישראל ואנשים שלה

In War: Victory, In Peace: Diligence, In Death: Sacrifice

rat907

Postby Maksim » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Rat, obviously the single stage is going to give the most precision, but not the ideal press for volume, or if you do not have 20 hours a week to reload.

I shoot weekly, around 200 to 250 rounds a week, not including rifle. It takes me 3 hours a week to reload 250 rounds on a turret press, including time to refill primers, clean up, etc.

On a single stage, It would take someone nearly 2 to 3 times more.

Now lets assume you shoot, your wife shoots, and you bring a friend, 500 to 750 rounds a week... It can easily take 5 to 8 hours to reload that much on a turret press, how long would it take you on a single stage? for handgun ammo, to deprime, resize, prime, expand, powder, bullet, seat, crimp.

A progressive press will let you do that. Most people I know that shoot competitively, or regularly, will be reloading on a progressive. One guy who does USPSA weekly, has 3 dillon 650's.... one at home, one at the office, and one at his friends house just in case.

I am taking a hybrid approach, and added a Lee PRo 1000. Will be resizing/depriming/priming on the classic turret, (as the lee pro 1000 totally blows at this), and doing powder, bullet, seat, crimp on the pro 1k. Not full progressive, but for most of it.
Maksim

Postby rat907 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:44 am

Maksim, my regiment was do a little every day in steps. I spent about an hour an evening every night (it was my personal time away from family) to chill out and relax.

I suppose a progressive has it's merits, but I have seen more than one guy either get a squib or double charged round or two from using progressives. It is a matter of preference on what equipment you like, be that it's either a single or progressive, the green, blue, orange or red guys... it doesn't matter.

If the progressive suits you, no problem here. It's kind of like judging the beauty of a woman, some may think she's hot while another frantically grabs for another beer.

When friends tagged along to the shoot spot, they had to bring their own ammo, I just kept the brass if they didn't reload themselves.

My only complaint of presses is their construction. The move to lighter (and weaker metal stuff) limits the presses ability to "handle" any reloading chore. I plan on trying to swage my own bullets one day in the future and those light weight and progressive presses won't handle the stress. I actually am on my second LEE hand press as I had broke my first trying to free a stuck case I had forgotten to lube.
Just another clown with guns™
אני תומך בישראל ואנשים שלה

In War: Victory, In Peace: Diligence, In Death: Sacrifice

rat907

Return to Reloading