Text Size
Board index Ammo Bunker Reloading

Reloading

Brass and Bullet Question 38 Special

For those that like to roll their own.

Brass and Bullet Question 38 Special

Postby ADV » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Bear with me here, no laughing, is 38 Special +P brass different to regular 38 Special brass??
Also, if I get a 1,000 38 Special bullets can they be used for 357 magnum loads as well??

First one to answer gets to shoot my first reload :D
'Man Is Born Free, And Everywhere He Is In Chains' - Rousseau
ADV

Re: Brass and Bullet Question 38 Special

Postby jw380 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

I don't reload, so I don't know for sure. But I am guessing you could find the info you are looking for in a good reloading manual, or off the net on one of the sites that deals with reloading.
Gun control violates the Declaration of Independance as it prohbits my pursuit of happiness.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword guarantees ownership of the pen.
jw380

Postby tavorc21 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 pm

ADV wrote:Bear with me here, no laughing, is 38 Special +P brass different to regular 38 Special brass??
Also, if I get a 1,000 38 Special bullets can they be used for 357 magnum loads as well??

First one to answer gets to shoot my first reload :D

Yes these bullets can be used for both loads 38 Special and 357.
The RCBS Carbide Dies for 357 magnum can also load 38 Special, they come with a spacer ring
for the 38.

The brass is the same, +p is just a head stamp for the end user.
מעשי השליחים 2:38
38Then פיטר ויאמר להם להתחרט, ועל להיטבל לכל אחד מכם על שם ישוע המשיח על הפוגה של חטאים, והייתם מקבלים את המתנה של רוח הקודש.

http://www.zahal.org/?a=244467
tavorc21

Postby rat907 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:17 pm

ADV wrote:Bear with me here, no laughing, is 38 Special +P brass different to regular 38 Special brass??

The real difference between the brass is the headstamp markings. Some minor differences in base and case wall thicknesses exist between manufacturers. Also the only other difference is nickel plated, which adds lubricity to the case and some corrosion resistance.

You can also (as I have) take .357 cases and cut them down (roughly an 1\8th inch) with a trimmer to use in 38 only chambers. The .357 case is sightly thicker in the head and base of case wall to handle the higher pressures. The draw back to that, it is hard on the case trimmer and you have to deburr the inside and outside of the case mouth before reloading. A junk knife can be used for this to wipe the edge clean of the burrs.

ADV wrote:Also, if I get a 1,000 38 Special bullets can they be used for 357 magnum loads as well??

When selecting 38\357 (.358) caliber bullets, make sure you check the velocity ratings for each of the part \ lot numbers. Retailers lump 38 and 357 bullets together to save web and flyer space.

But yes you can use 38 projectiles for your 357 loadings and vice versa, if you plan on just target practice.
If you plan on using the ammo in defensive shooting, then the velocity ratings have to be watched.

Low velocity rated bullets will break apart (fragment) upon impact when velocity ratings are exceeded, this renders the bullet ineffective in vital penetration.
The opposite is true for Hi-Vel rated driven at low velocities, they fail to expand properly and thus become a solid and prone to over penatrate.

Just make sure you follow the reloading manuals recommendations and the componet selection stats and you'll be fine and have many hours of safe and fun loading and shooting.
Just another clown with guns™
אני תומך בישראל ואנשים שלה

In War: Victory, In Peace: Diligence, In Death: Sacrifice

rat907

Return to Reloading