Text Size
Board index Ammo Bunker Reloading

Reloading

My 941 9mm loves my reloads

For those that like to roll their own.

My 941 9mm loves my reloads

Postby kraigster414 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:09 pm

I shoot hard cast lead in moderation due to the Jericho's polygonal barrel and bucket loads of Rainier 124 grain plated RN with a light charge of HS-6. I seat the bullets just deep enough (medium taper crimp) so they drop in the chamber and cycle the slide. Both perform flawlessly.

For lead, I use Missouri Bullets exclusively.

http://www.missouribullet.com/
Jericho 941 mid-size 9mm poly with: DPM recoil reduction unit, Armalaser SR-2, Meprolilght ML 19593 night sights
kraigster414

Re: My 941 9mm loves my reloads

Postby ADV » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Kraigster, what reloading set up do you have? I want to start but can't see the woods for the trees in terms of which reloader to start with - what press do you have and do you like it?
'Man Is Born Free, And Everywhere He Is In Chains' - Rousseau
ADV

Postby kraigster414 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 pm

ADV wrote:Kraigster, what reloading set up do you have? I want to start but can't see the woods for the trees in terms of which reloader to start with - what press do you have and do you like it?

You just had to ask huh! :D

I have been reloading for 25 years. It's the only way (especially today) I can afford to shoot in large quantities. I have a Hornady auto indexing progressive press known as the Hornady Lock 'n Load (LNL). I also keep a Dillon 550b as a backup. A lot of folks prefer the Dillon 550b to the LNL, I don't. Once you get a few minor kinks out of the Hornady, it's smooth sailing and you get very used to it. Having said that, I do not recommend a progressive press for beginners. Start out slow with an inexpensive single-stage press from Lyman, Redding, RCBS, etc. and see if reloading is for you. If it is, you can then move up to a bigger and better (more complex) press. Adv, I would be happy to get you started. The negative today (thanks in large part to the Obama Administration and the "buy it while you can" mentality), is that it's often hard to locate certain reloading supplies such as primers and powder but if you're resourceful it can be done - however expect to find back ordered items . For me not only is reloading a way to save money but I find it relaxing. Keep in mind though, safety is paramount and one of the first things you need to do is buy a good reloading manual. There are also some excellent reloading sites on the internet such as handloads.com.

Over at the Ruger LCP forum, I started a Beginner's Reloading thread, now a sticky with lots of good information and sources for equipment:

http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2157.0
Jericho 941 mid-size 9mm poly with: DPM recoil reduction unit, Armalaser SR-2, Meprolilght ML 19593 night sights
kraigster414

Postby ADV » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:02 am

Ya, just had to ask....sorry ......read the books but other reloading forums have left me confused in the head as to equipment. Going to see Elsie........BBL with lots of questions haha :lol:
'Man Is Born Free, And Everywhere He Is In Chains' - Rousseau
ADV

Postby kraigster414 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Forgot to mention Lee. Modestly priced equipment that works. Their reloading dies in particular as as good if not better in some cases that the more expensive RCBS, Redding, Lyman and Hornady dies.
kraigster414

Postby raymillsus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:16 pm

I can tell you that I agree with Kraigster's advice on not starting with a progressive. I have a Lee Classic touret press that was given to me by my father-in-law as a gift. It is a great press and I am so glad that I started with that one. I used it for a few months and then went down to see him in SC. I used his 550-b and I was so glad that I had loaded some first. that thing is awesome but i will tell you that it does take some getting use to. My plan is to go to the 650 when the budget dictates. I like the 650 only because you can put a powder check system in. The powder check system prevents double and no loads. I like it but like my wife says I always like the more expensive toys. :D

I say get a manual and a press and make sure you get a good digital scale and you will be off and running, just remember you have to crawl, walk, run. :) Have fun with it and I too find it very relaxing.

Kraigster. If you have a hard time finding reloading parts let me know I have a source with pretty good prices. I just got a brick of large pistol primers for $30. :mrgreen:
raymillsus

Postby kraigster414 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:47 pm

"Kraigster. If you have a hard time finding reloading parts let me know I have a source with pretty good prices. I just got a brick of large pistol primers for $30. :mrgreen:"

Ray, thanks. I may take you up on your offier. I still have a pretty good supply of primers, large and small, plenty of brass, and no problem finding bullets - I shoot more cast than jacketed these days buying primarily from Missouri Bullets because their prices are the best, quality good, and they ship fast. Powder is the problem for me currently. Insult to injury that when on top of trying to locate your favorite powder, you also have to reimburse the dealer for the hazardous cargo charge.

The other day I searched high and low for HS-6 (I use it for both 9mm and .357 Sig) and couldn't find any place that had it in stock. HS-6 and WW231 take care of all my pistol reloading needs - from .380 to 9mm, to .357 Sig, .40SW and .45 ACP. I'll be going to the Chantilly Gun Show this weekend who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. I may have to compromise by buying Power Pistol, Herco or AA#5 (assuming I can find) for 9mm and .357 Sig, good choices too.
kraigster414

Postby raymillsus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 am

Let me know what you are looking for and I can ask my guy to hold it for you at Chantilly. I will be there Saturday morning. We meet at ChickFilet for breakfast then head over to the show. Give me a call and I can let you know the details.

-Ray
raymillsus

Postby kraigster414 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:25 am

Ray, I plan to go to the show today. I am usually there first thing on Saturday. I could use 1-2 cans of Win 231 powder ( 1lb cans). Thanks. We can share cell phones by email or PM if you want.
kraigster414

Postby kraigster414 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Wooohoo. Picked up two cans of WW231 and 2K primers. I am a happy man.
kraigster414

Next

Return to Reloading