Text Size
Board index Ammo Bunker Reloading

Reloading

reloading for 45acp

For those that like to roll their own.

reloading for 45acp

Postby mattyj513 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:08 pm

recently started reloading, keeping it simple with a Lee hand press. so far so good, been using berry double struck, rainier TMJ, and Missouri lead RN, all 230 gr over bullseye in Starline brass. All have been clean and accurate, and I find the process to be simple, fun, and quite enjoyable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Re: reloading for 45acp

Postby Sgt45 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Good for you Matty. Many of us started out with a Lee Loader and as the years progress so will your equipment. Read the manuals (loading) and don't be afraid to experiment with different loads, powders, bullets etc. That is half the fun of loading. You will find what works best for you in your gun. Good Luck
Sgt45

Postby mattyj513 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:41 pm

The hand press is great for me because I do the majority of my shooting approximately once a month when I go to my upstate land. It makes a good hobby while I'm in the city and I enjoy each stage of each bullet. I'm the maniac who thoroughly enjoys cleaning my firearms, so this is right up my alley. Not to mention the savings. The press, powder measure, scale, dies, tumbler, and components paid for themselves in the first couple hundred rounds, and I'm stocked on bullets, powder, and primers for quite some time. The whole process seemed a little intimidating, but its actually very simple. Reloading is definitely the way to go.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby DangerousFat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:35 pm

About how many rounds can you make with a 1 pound can of powder, in general. I know it depends on how much you put in each case, but a good round estimate is all I'm looking for. I just wanted to do some math on reloading and see if I could shoot enough to make it worth my while.
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Postby mattyj513 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm using bullseye, average 45acp loads, and I believe its somewhere around 1700 rounds per lb. Could be a little off on that number, but its around there.

- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby DangerousFat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:13 pm

How much grain of powder are you loading? I was watching a video on youtube and he was loading like 5.8 in a .45 ACP and that comes to about 800 or so a pound (did some research after I asked the question lol shoulda done it first) so are you loading them that light at like 3.9 or 3 grains per cartridge?
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Postby mattyj513 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:44 pm

230 gr lead using 3.9 grains, 230 TMJ using 4.9 grains. Both are right in the middle of the recommended range of load data.

- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Return to Reloading