Text Size
Board index Ammo Bunker Ballistics

Ballistics

Ammo?

Ammunition characteristics - energy, velocity, and related technical talk.

Ammo?

Postby mavman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:19 am

Hey all,
Just wondering what everyone is using for ammo and how they like it?
I have a Jericho 941 .40
I use Gold Dots 180 for home/personal defense
and i am using lawman 180 for plinking.

Thanks,
Maverick
Safe Shooting
~Maverick~
mavman

Re: Ammo?

Postby zombiehunr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:49 am

Most of the time ill use remington green box 230 grain .45 for target or remington 230 grain white box if walmart has it

and for home defense i use winchester JHP but on that note if anyone can suggest better PD ammo im all ears winchester white box tends to be a little dirty
zombiehunr

Location: From Los Angeles CA but stationed in Jacksonville FL

Postby JavaTee » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:48 am

zombiehunr wrote:Most of the time ill use remington green box 230 grain .45 for target
for home defense i use winchester JHP but on that note if anyone can suggest better PD ammo im all ears winchester white box tends to be a little dirty

I'll agree with the Winchester white box of 230 gr FMJ/Ball ammo being dirty. I fired 40 rounds of the Rem. UMC (green box) 230 gr FMJ/Ball and it feed well, and I was smiling, not noticably dirty. After 30 rounds of the Winchester I could see the blackening of the top/back of the barrel, then two failure to feed :x.

For HD I have Remington Golden Sabre 230 gr JHP. I'm still researching Winchester SXT, or SXR (whatever it's called) for a HD load.

Later, T.J.
JavaTee

Postby wickersham » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:43 am

mavman wrote:Hey all,
Just wondering what everyone is using for ammo and how they like it?
I have a Jericho 941 .40
I use Gold Dots 180 for home/personal defense
and i am using lawman 180 for plinking.

Thanks,
Maverick

I like the Federal or Winchester White Box (WWB) from walmart - cheap and I have never had a problem with it in any caliber or any gun.

As for weight, I go 180gr as I do not like the recoil characteristics of 165gr.

For JHP, 180gr Golden Saber bonded (because I got a deal on them). The Gold dots or Winchester Ranger are also supposed to be very good.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby jackoctober » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:05 pm

I also use white box winchester, I've had no problems with it in my .40 Jericho or my dad's m45 Firestar (in .45) I also use that cheap Blazer TMJ stuff for target practice. It tends to be very cheap and shoots very clean, so that's been my preference.
Various hats, various Russian style rifles.
jackoctober

Postby jw380 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 am

For target ammo I use whatever I can get my hands on from Walmart or a sporting goods store (except Wolf and CCI). This means it is usually Winchester WB, Federal Eagle, or Remington. Usually 115 grain for 9MM and 230 grain for .45

For Defense rounds I like Federal Hydra-Shock. I use 147 grain for 9MM and 230 grain for .45.
Gun control violates the Declaration of Independance as it prohbits my pursuit of happiness.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword guarantees ownership of the pen.
jw380

Postby L5K » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:47 am

I use whatever's cheap and factory spec'd in my .40 for plinking.

For serious stockpiling I'm partial to the 165 or 155 grain American Eagle. Price is right, and the numbers are good, I don't stock hollowpoints because this is for "serious business." For a carry/defense load I'd just pick up a couple boxes of doubletap 135 grain Nosler HP's. Can't go wrong putting 605ft/lbs at the muzzle into an attacker.
"It is a mistake to suppose that all men want to be free. On the contrary, if freedom entails responsibility, many of them want none of it." -Theodore Darymple
L5K

Postby Jericho » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:46 am

I love those 100rd white boxes from Walmart. I never care if it's dirty because I clean my gun like I have OCD. For defense I use in my 9mm 147 GR Winchester Ranger SXT. I'm looking for some for my new 45, but right now I just have ball ammo in it. I thought about going the hydrashok route, but I'm fond of the "Black Talon" mentality (even if almost nothing about the stories are true.

I've also been looking for some Glazer Safety Slugs. I heard they pack quite a punch and won't kill the neighbors.
The shortest path to the hearts and minds of home invaders is through their sternums and cranio-ocular cavities.
Jericho

Postby jw380 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Jericho wrote: I'm fond of the "Black Talon" mentality (even if almost nothing about the stories are true.

My agency has been issuing Ranger SXT as duty ammo for quite awhile. They haven't been black, or known by the Talon name for years. They strike me as just another HP round. We apparently are switching to Federal Hydrashoks this year, which is ok by me as I like the round. The switch is due to the "state bid" process which saves agencies some cash.
Gun control violates the Declaration of Independance as it prohbits my pursuit of happiness.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword guarantees ownership of the pen.
jw380

Postby OrionK9 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:51 am

I'm still experimenting. Got a deal at WalMart on a 250 box of Remmington 9mm. I found that, after firing a couple of clips, I got a couple of FTF's when I put in a fresh clip. After I got the first round to seat in the barrel, I had no problems with the rest of the bullets in the clip. When I cleaned the gun after coming back from the range, it seemed that there was a lot more carbon than I had experienced with other brands of ammo. I think that the Winchester white box and Blazer brass have been as clean as anything that I've used. The ammo is all 9mm, 115 gr, FMJ ball ammo. After I get a little more proficient with the pistol, I'll start trying hollow points.
OrionK9

Next

Return to Ballistics