Text Size
Board index Ammo Bunker Ballistics

Ballistics

+P ammo??

Ammunition characteristics - energy, velocity, and related technical talk.

+P ammo??

Postby rip4308 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Has anyone used it?

Wanna know the good, bad, and ugly?

Rip
rip4308

Re: +P ammo??

Postby wickersham » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:59 am

rip4308 wrote:Has anyone used it?

Wanna know the good, bad, and ugly?

Rip

In general or for the Jericho specifically?

Generally speaking, the +P in 9mm feels more like a .40 as far as recoil goes (at least to me). It is loaded to a higher pressure (40,000+ PSI vs. 35,000 PSI I think).

Granted, I have not shot a lot of it because it usually found for hollowpoints and thus 2-3 times more expensive.

Good:
More velocity = more expansion/more pentration for the JHP.

Bad/Ugly:
Some argue that it will "wear out" your gun faster because of the extra stress on frame, recoil spring, etc., but supposedly European 9mm is loaded extremely hot, something like the equivalent of our +P or even +P+.

"Regular" commercial 9mm available here in the states is considered to be extremely watered down unless you are shooting the NATO variety.

I know the Jericho books say no +P, but if I had a 9mm I would shoot it anyway - its not like you have to worry about voiding the warranty now :?

I am sure Israelis are using the high pressure rounds, they just don't call it +p like we do.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby jw380 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:24 am

We are issued +P as duty rounds. Once a year we get to shoot up the old duty ammo when they issue us new ammo. I have noticed an increase in felt recoil and muzzle flip, but not significant enough as to make it a problem.

I wouldn't use it as target ammo because, as Wick pointed out, it is pretty much restricted to costly HP ammo. I have shot it in the Beretta 92 and S&W M&P, and would not hesitate to use it as a defensive carry round. That said, there are other rounds that are not +P that will get the job done as well. Users choice.
Gun control violates the Declaration of Independance as it prohbits my pursuit of happiness.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword guarantees ownership of the pen.
jw380

Postby DangerousFat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Has anyone fired +P through their Jericho .45? I'm not familiar with the pressures, so I don't know if a +P .45 ACP round generates more or less pressure than the 9mm, but I can imagine the kick would be substantial. I'm planning on getting a Jericho in .45 ACP and I certainly wanted to use +P HP rounds as my self defense rounds, so obviously I would fire a few through it to get used to how they handle. Just wondering how the gun would handle that. I also imagine I'd be buying the better recoil compensator that has been mentioned on these forums for it.
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Postby wickersham » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 am

DangerousFat wrote:Has anyone fired +P through their Jericho .45? I'm not familiar with the pressures, so I don't know if a +P .45 ACP round generates more or less pressure than the 9mm, but I can imagine the kick would be substantial. I'm planning on getting a Jericho in .45 ACP and I certainly wanted to use +P HP rounds as my self defense rounds, so obviously I would fire a few through it to get used to how they handle. Just wondering how the gun would handle that. I also imagine I'd be buying the better recoil compensator that has been mentioned on these forums for it.

.45 ACP is extremely low pressure compared to 9mm - 21,000psi, for the +P, 23,000. It looks like it would be much safer pressure wise than 9mm, but I would wait for a dedicated .45 shooter to chime in about it.
wickersham

Postby DangerousFat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:03 pm

Wikipedia (which isn't always correct) states that standard .45 ACP PSI is also 21,000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP

But says that 9mm is 34,000 psi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9x19mm_Parabellum

So, either way, I suppose the .45 ACP is still dramatically less pressure.
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Postby wickersham » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:00 am

DangerousFat wrote:Wikipedia (which isn't always correct) states that standard .45 ACP PSI is also 21,000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_ACP

But says that 9mm is 34,000 psi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9x19mm_Parabellum

So, either way, I suppose the .45 ACP is still dramatically less pressure.

I guess I should have structured my last sentence a so it was clearer - yes, .45ACP is 21,000 and +P is 23,000. 9mm is not the same PSI.

9mm is 35K for standard, 38k, 40k, etc for +P. I would imagine all these are ballparks figures, some will be less, some probably more.
wickersham

Postby DangerousFat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:35 pm

Your sentence could have been read either way, I chose to read it the wrong way. :) But this is all good info for me, like I said, I would probably keep some hot loads for personal defense. This does bring up a new question. I figure the problem with .45 ACP +P rounds is actually less a problem with pressure a more a problem with the recoil on the slide and springs. In that case, what a 9mm can handle doesn't indicate whether a .45 ACP could or not. There is going to be massively more recoil in a .45 ACP +P than a 9mm +P, so the real question now is whether or not the stock Jericho 941 can handle that kind of recoil?
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Postby DeadEnd80 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I did have some recent experience with this very topic. As posted earlier the manual doesn't recommend using any +p ammo with the 941's, however I have fed both my .45 and my 9mm compact with stellar results. Fired and fed flawlessly, and I didn't really notice that much of an increase in recoil. I now keep one magazine of each loaded with some mid grain +p ammo for home defense, wouldn't keep it any other way.
I say go for it. If there's any worry about wearing out the gun or the springs, throw in a recoil unit.
DeadEnd80

Return to Ballistics