Text Size

Caliber Wars

Sell me on 9mm...

Keep the "which is better" arguments in here.

Re: Sell me on 9mm...

Postby ADV » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:28 pm

wickersham wrote:I have no logical hatred of 9mm or even .40 S&W, but man I love .45 ACP. To be honest, I have no logical reason to love .45 ACP so much either. I've always shot it, my dad loves it, America loves it... and that's good enough for me. lol Anyway, I want a Jericho so badly I can taste it, but I want one in .45 ACP at a reasonable price. It seems less and less likely to happen every day, but there are about 50+ in 9mm available at any given time and it seems for every one that disappears, two more take its place.

Anyway, someone sell me on 9mm so I can get me a Jericho. lol You're also welcome to sell me your Jericho in .45 ACP, I promise I'll take care of it. :)

Thanks guys,
DF

Well, I beleive those who demand ".45 or nothing" are basically compensating for something. :lol:

Seriously though, I have been through all the major handgun calibers over the years yet have come full circle back to 9mm. I beleive the cartridge is capable of doing everything ones needs it to when it comes to two-legged assailants (animal defense is a whole other topic and .45 won't help there either). With the exception of the US, 9mm is pretty much the defacto standard for pistol caliber across the world.

Not that you believe this Dfat, but a common misconception is that the .45 is so powerful, so manly, that if you can just graze your opponent with this magic bullet you will win, or if you hit center of mass he will be knocked off his feet and blown backward, while the 9mm requires you empty multiple mags before he goes down(ok, a little dramatic maybe).

Nothing at all wrong with the .45 though, and I can shoot it just as good as 9mm, so my reasoning for liking 9mm is this - higher capacity, less weight, half as expensive, easier to find, and lots of truly "compact" platforms to choose from.[/quote]

Listen to the Boss.
'Man Is Born Free, And Everywhere He Is In Chains' - Rousseau
ADV

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am

In any case all of these various types of ammunition will do, what most people lose sight of is HITTING THE TARGET! If you a threat in a vital organ with one or more shots your takedown chances increase dramitically. So by that logic if you hit your threat center mass twice with a 9mm, but hit that same threat in the shoulder and miss your second with a .45, 9mm wins! And vice versa. Shoot what you are comfortable with and TRAIN!

With that said, I carry .357sig Pow'R'Ball. Why? It's lightweight high velocity and will break apart in a soft targets making the over-penatration less of a factor. I want a 941 .45 and I also have .40 but I do not own a 9mm. Not because it is a bad round but I am sick of going to the range and hearing the two "thug-like" guys at the counter saying, "ya...let me rent dat 9 right der" lol and its like a Ford Mustang up here in the Detroit area, everyone has one. I am very intrigued by that FNH Five-seveN Pistol. That round looks mean! It's 5.7x28mm Rifle style bottleneck round with Muzzle Velocities around 2100fps out of a pistol! Awesome!

No Compromise
Rick

Postby danwoodhead » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm

I agree with you. I have an early Jericho 941 which uses .41 cal and 9 MM as well. The gun came from Israel in 1991 with interchangeable barrels and two clips for each. I far prefer the .41 to the 9 MM.
danwoodhead

Postby Hondo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:14 pm

I have a .45 BE and I love it.Though it is a little heavy for me to cc everyday which defeats the point. It is the very first pistol I owned and was able to shoot it very accurately from the start. I am looking into getting a 9mm or 40 though, for idpa, 45 gets to be very expensive and hard to find for that.
Hondo

Postby boscoman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Hondo wrote:I have a .45 BE and I love it.Though it is a little heavy for me to cc everyday which defeats the point. It is the very first pistol I owned and was able to shoot it very accurately from the start. I am looking into getting a 9mm or 40 though, for idpa, 45 gets to be very expensive and hard to find for that.

Well if cost is the issue you will want to stick with 9mm. 40 S&W isn't much cheaper if at all compared to 45.

Personally I am a fan of 9mm. I like the high capacity magazines & it will do as much damage as most any other bullet if it hits the right spot. It's all about shot placement.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

A quote by the Great Genghis Khan to Islam "I am the flail of God.If you had not committed great sins, God would have not sent a punishment like me upon you"
boscoman

Postby CaptDavid » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 pm

I think caliber is a quite personal choice depending on lots of variable factors such as personal experience, relative size of shooter, ammo availablity, clip capacity, cost of ammo, purpose intended for the caliber, etc. I would not dream of trying to sell anyone on the the 9mm or 45ACP. My personal choice is what I regard as the very best compromise between the two aforementioned calibers ... velocity of the 9mm with size of bullet closer to the 45ACP and energy slightly exceeding the 45 because of the increased velocity. Given the higher velocity, my choice is more likely to expand in JHP bullets and more likely to penetrate deeply. The personal choice or compromise of factors for me is 40 S&W and that is what I own.

Capt David
Capt David
CaptDavid

Postby sbxjap » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:57 pm

I actually own an older Jericho in 9mm and a newer Jericho with rail in .40S&W. Since my 9mm is older and probably needs an extractor spring, I prefer to use my .40S&W.

At the range, I try out different calibers all the time on different model guns, but always go back to my Jericho in .40S&W and my FN Five seveN. The 5.7x28mm is extremely light and easy to carry. The recoil is light but the sound the gun makes is sharp and flame is sometimes visible.... still, it's definitely fun to carry and talk about!

Just in case you're wondering.

At different times, I carry my Jericho, Five seveN, or PPK. I try to use the Jericho on colder days because I like the feel on my hip and it's damn sexy. The Five seveN and PPK I carry on hip or in my bag (in the bag on warmer days). The Jericho's finish makes me want to carry it less since I wears off easier.
sbxjap

Postby mattyj513 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Yeah the Five seveN is definitely on my list of future purchases. Imagine a 5.7 conversion/mod for the Jericho? If only I had a machine shop at my disposal.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby th3ug1y0n3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Isn't the five seven a pass through round and wound there be an issue with backstops?
th3ug1y0n3

Postby mattyj513 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:28 pm

The logistics of it do not make it a reasonable conversion. But what I have learned is that you can do anything with enough time, material, equipment, and motivation.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Caliber Wars