Text Size

Jericho

Jericho Extracting Issues

IWI's famous pistol. Has been imported to the US by Charles Daly/KBI, Magnum Research, and Mossberg under various names.

Re: Jericho Extracting Issues

Postby nuke0070 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 am

Just some food for thought. about 2 years ago I bought my first jericho 9mm kbi import. I have 2 now by the way 1 full kit and the kbi. The kbi was a giant thron in my side because I would get stovepip after stovepipe. I changed allot of parts to try and correct this issue. Here is a list of parts I can remember. First I changed the extractor and spring to a wolf. Didn't really help, remind you out of say every 15 rounds I would litterly get 10 stovepipes. I cleaned and cleaned and noting helped. I thought maybe the magazines were bad so I replaced all my spring with wolf springs, nothing. Then I thought maybe the magazines were bouncing around inside during recoil so I replaced the long flat piece of metal behind the magazine in the gun and the magazine release, nothing. I then changed the sear housing because I thought the ejector was bad and nothing. Still getting stovepipe after stovepipe no matter what ammo was used. Finally one day I was watching american guns on tv and they were doing a fn5.7 custom job by adding a scope mount and scope. When they were test firing they noticed the caseings were hitting the scope mount and denting them. Then the gun smith said well we need to file a little on the ejector to change the and in which it ejects from the pistol and boom a super huge spotlight went off in my head so off I went to the range with my jericho and a file. I went shot a few round and did a little filing. Shot a few and did a little filing and by the time I was done I finally had a good reliable shooting gun. After all the parts I replaced and time and ammo I wasted all it took was a tv show and a file I already had. So your failure to eject or stove pipes could be from the same thing.
nuke0070

Postby Spike941 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:15 pm

Well, its been awhile since I've posted and gone shooting. I did finally get out and tested out the new extractor and spring and through 200 rounds not one stove pipe. I did find out that Jericho is a picky snob when it comes to the ammo you put through it. I purchased some Brown Bear (cheap Russian made) since I can't find anything else at the moment and it would jam up every 2 shots. I think it's because of what seems to be a lacquer that is on the brass doesn't allow it to feed properly. When I take the mag out the bullet is partially out of the mag like it was trying to feed. My buddy had Winchester, filled the mag up and it went through it flawlessly. Next for shits and giggles I'm going to replace the recoil spring to a recoil reduction system I found. Bit pricey but I think it will help.
Spike941

Postby Spike941 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm at a total loss of what to do now besides taking mine to a gunsmith to see if they can find anything. I am still getting jams. I replaced the recoil spring with a DPM recoil reduction system which didn't give me stove pipes, but jammed the brass horizontally. With this it seems the spring is pretty powerful and is shutting the slide on the brass before it can eject. I hate to give up on this gun because I'm accurate as hell with it but it's been 6 years since I purchased it and have had nothing but issues. It's just not reliable as it is. I go hundreds of rounds with no issues then will get 5 stove pipes or jams. I've tried changing up my grip, replaced extractor and recoil spring, mag springs. I had someone who had never shot a gun before go through 100 rounds with not one issue and then I get 2 jams?!? I've tried holding it normal, arms bent/straight, with a death grip, makes no difference. I unfortunately am just seeing a revolver in my future so I eliminate any of these issues and can just go shoot with out issue after issue.
Spike941

Postby wex » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Well interestingly after the 2 latest range sessions and about 200 rounds later without cleaning I have not had a single malfunction. Mind you I have been using the same 2 mags each time and have been for awhile, and have modified the extractor. So far so good. I am guessing everything is bedding together and surfaces are mating. I hope it stays this way.(knock on wood)

Nuke-how did you file the ejector?
wex

Postby nuke0070 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:35 am

i had a spare laying around brand new so with the old one I took the gun to the range and first filed it back keeping the point. A few rounds later and it stove piped. So I just kept filling back and back till it finally stopped doing it. I would say about .008 was taken off. I did it in small increments and took me like 400 rounds to do it lol. 100 to get it right then 300 with not a hiccup. My assumption is since it is filled further back that the empty case is hitting it faster and harder creating more force out of the gun. If any of that makes sense.
nuke0070

Previous

Return to Jericho