Text Size

Jericho

Jericho Extracting Issues

IWI's famous pistol. Has been imported to the US by Charles Daly/KBI, Magnum Research, and Mossberg under various names.

Jericho Extracting Issues

Postby Spike941 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:59 am

Hey everyone, great site I'm very happy I stumbled upon it. I've been having a few issues with the brass extracting. I am using the original magazines that came with it and marked the bottoms of them to see if it maybe was a mag issue. It seems to just be happening with one of the mags which would be great, easy to replace. I tried shooting with both hands, single handed and even "limp wristing" it to see if that was the issue but still, just happened with the one mag. I just wanted to check here to get your guys opinions since you know way more about this stuff than myself I'm sure.

The owner of the gun range said from the images below that it could be that the extractor is getting weak since it looks like it is double feeding and I might need to get a new spring kit. I've owned it for probably 4 years and this happens every time I have shot it. I thought maybe I wasn't cleaning it well enough but I really doubt that is it. It only jams 3 times at random, every time, no matter if I put 200 rounds though it or 500. Today I shot 400 rounds and you can see what happened below. The previous owner had it for 5 years and had never shot it. Thanks for taking a look. Any advice, best place to get parts if needed, is appreciated!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Sp ... ericho.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Sp ... richo2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Sp ... richo1.jpg
Spike941

Re: Jericho Extracting Issues

Postby wickersham » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:22 pm

What about mags? A lot of users have reported problems with the "Triangle T" magazines.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby Spike941 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 am

I don't see any markings on them at all no T or serial number. Completely black magazines with black followers. I think I am going to start by ordering some of the MEC-GAR magazines and see if I get any extracting issues with those and narrow it down from there if so. These are what I have for the 9mm in the image below. The .41 magazines say 41 AE on the bottoms of them. I have the Jericho that came in the large case with the 4 clips, 2 barrels/springs and cleaning tools.

Spike941

Postby lon941 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:25 am

I was actually going to make a new thread, but I think I'm having similar enough issues to Spike here. I took my first range trip with my steel framed 9mm Jericho and had experienced numerous (~10 per 16 round magazine on average) stovepipes. The stovepipes looked as they did in Spike's picture, with the round straight up.

I performed a detail strip and lube of the frame prior to the first shooting session. After shooting, I suspected something had to be wrong with the extractor assembly, so I attempted to clean it... and yes, it was extremely dirty. The extractor itself looked okay to me, although I don't think I'm qualified to judge, as this is my first CZ pattern pistol. The extractor spring's tension seemed pretty stiff, as pressing on the Jericho's extractor is a lot harder to do than pressing on my Beretta 92's. Is this normal? On another note, I had also shot my Beretta that day, using the same ammo with no issues. The Jericho was using Mec-Gar Tanfoglio 16 rounders, so feeding wasn't really an issue.

Edit: Question: Does the magazine have anything to do with extraction/ejection?

Anyway, the extractor assembly is clean now, and I will attempt shoot the Jericho again tomorrow. However, I'm thinking I'll be getting similar results... when dry cycling the gun, either with a snap cap or spent casing, the round will either... 1) Fall straight out of the extractor's claw and out the magazine well (or on to the magazine, if it is in the gun... sometimes, the round stands up on the follower in a "stovepiped" or resting position, as in Spike's pics. 2) Eject weakly, just enough to plop the round out of the chamber. 3) Eject well, at around 3-4 feet. ...pretty inconsistent extraction, huh? What could be the problem? Sorry for the long post... any help would be appreciated.
lon941

Postby wickersham » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:36 am

Which mags do you have again? The ones that come with gun (marked with a triangle "T"), or the Mecgar ones made for the EAA witness? Reason I ask is that I started getting a FTF/FTE once every 50-60 rds on my fullsized 9mm a while back, I bought some Mecgar EAA witness mags and all problems were solved.

With that said, you may have other issues going on based on your description of what happens when you dry cycle. To answer your question - my extractor tension is very stiff, probably the stiffest of any gun I have ever owned. I always make sure to pay extra attention to the area under the claw when cleaning (don't use oil here obviously - you want it nice and dry and not slick for obvious reasons. gunscrubber, plastic toothpics, and some working back and forth there with patches really helps get it clean. Slender swabs like these help really get under there too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETAILING-CLEAN ... 5d304a405c

You can order a new extractor and/or spring if you are so inclined (in fact, there is one in classified ads right now I think), but they are not easy to replace.

Which gun do you have? An older Jericho marked, a new Jericho marked, or a "Desert Eagle" marked one?
wickersham

Postby wickersham » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:39 am

Spike941 wrote:Hey everyone, great site I'm very happy I stumbled upon it. I've been having a few issues with the brass extracting. I am using the original magazines that came with it and marked the bottoms of them to see if it maybe was a mag issue. It seems to just be happening with one of the mags which would be great, easy to replace. I tried shooting with both hands, single handed and even "limp wristing" it to see if that was the issue but still, just happened with the one mag. I just wanted to check here to get your guys opinions since you know way more about this stuff than myself I'm sure.

The owner of the gun range said from the images below that it could be that the extractor is getting weak since it looks like it is double feeding and I might need to get a new spring kit. I've owned it for probably 4 years and this happens every time I have shot it. I thought maybe I wasn't cleaning it well enough but I really doubt that is it. It only jams 3 times at random, every time, no matter if I put 200 rounds though it or 500. Today I shot 400 rounds and you can see what happened below. The previous owner had it for 5 years and had never shot it. Thanks for taking a look. Any advice, best place to get parts if needed, is appreciated!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Sp ... ericho.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Sp ... richo2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Sp ... richo1.jpg

Mine starting do exactly this based on your pics, with the exact same mags (original mags from 1990-91 era, unmarked - no "T", part of the original 941 kit). The Mecgar EAA mags Item# MGGT2116B made all the feed problems vanish.
wickersham

Postby Spike941 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Hey Guys, I did finally purchase the MGGT2116B magazine and it worked like a charm I did not get one extracting issue what so ever with this. I did use one of my original magazines and got one jam with it. I have purchased a new spring for the magazine and will go give it a try with in the next week or so and will let you know if I get any jam issues. I really don't see it being an extractor issue since I only had the one jam with the old mag and spring and none with the new one.

And just to share since I have absolutely no fundage to get this at the moment (yes I would buy another and dual wield them, lol) here is a sweet Jericho 941 and this one is the most complete one I have seen, it even comes with the original box which I have never seen on there. I would love to have that .41AE ammo just to try it once.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =254679194
Spike941

Postby mattyj513 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Dual wielding my Jerichos is one of my favorite things to do. If you ever get the chance, take it.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby lon941 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks for your replies. I have a steel-framed KBI Jericho in 9mm. I'm using Mec-Gar MGGT2116B mags along with a Magnum Research 15 rounder, and I get the same problem with both of them. The gun feeds well enough even on slow slide racks/loadings, but always seems to extract poorly/erratically. I've taken apart the extractor assembly numerous times and have checked how the extractor claw interfaces with the case, and it looked like there wasn't enough metal on the claw to grab onto the case reliably. That explains it...

Figuring there was nothing to lose with this current extractor, I decided to modify it with a guide from CZ Forum: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=30669.0 - The mod makes a lot of sense, but given that the extractor claw doesn't seem to grab onto cases well in the first place, I have no idea if this will improve anything; I'm still getting the same results with dry cycling empty cases and snap caps. Of course, I do plan to shoot the Jericho again tomorrow to find out for sure. If the problem persists, I just plan on getting a new extractor... being that this is a used gun, I'm really not too surprised. I'll keep you updated. Aside from the extractor assembly, is there any other component that would contribute to the problem? Does the ejector play a role?
lon941

Postby wickersham » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:20 pm

lon941 wrote:Thanks for your replies. I have a steel-framed KBI Jericho in 9mm. I'm using Mec-Gar MGGT2116B mags along with a Magnum Research 15 rounder, and I get the same problem with both of them. The gun feeds well enough even on slow slide racks/loadings, but always seems to extract poorly/erratically. I've taken apart the extractor assembly numerous times and have checked how the extractor claw interfaces with the case, and it looked like there wasn't enough metal on the claw to grab onto the case reliably. That explains it...

Figuring there was nothing to lose with this current extractor, I decided to modify it with a guide from CZ Forum: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=30669.0 - The mod makes a lot of sense, but given that the extractor claw doesn't seem to grab onto cases well in the first place, I have no idea if this will improve anything; I'm still getting the same results with dry cycling empty cases and snap caps. Of course, I do plan to shoot the Jericho again tomorrow to find out for sure. If the problem persists, I just plan on getting a new extractor... being that this is a used gun, I'm really not too surprised. I'll keep you updated. Aside from the extractor assembly, is there any other component that would contribute to the problem? Does the ejector play a role?

The ejector can play a role - but didn't you say the casing was falling out of the claw before it even got that far back.
wickersham

Next

Return to Jericho