Text Size

Jericho

Jericho Extracting Issues

IWI's famous pistol. Has been imported to the US by Charles Daly/KBI, Magnum Research, and Mossberg under various names.

Re: Jericho Extracting Issues

Postby lon941 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 pm

It does sometimes grab casings well enough to throw them out, but that is true; I'll attempt to address the extractor issue first.
lon941

Postby Spike941 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 am

Just got back from the range and out of 150 rounds I had 4 jams. One with the MGGT2116B and 3 with the original magazine and new spring. I guess I'll be ordering an extractor and Wolff spring for it see if that changes anything.
Spike941

Postby ApolloX10 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:30 pm

Extractor issues could arise from the type of ammunition. If you're using whinchester white box (value pack) than this could be the problem. My Jericho had issues feeding the WWB rounds, as do most CZ75 based pistols. The WWB rim is a little different than the specs of most 9mm rounds which the Jericho can't always grab onto the whole way. I put about 200 Federals through her today and not a single problem, if I tried the same with the WWB, I'd have about 3-4 jams per 20 rounds. :-/
ApolloX10

Postby Spike941 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:55 am

Yeah I have tried 3 different kinds of ammo and recently have used nothing but Federal and keep having the same results. I'm going to order the new extractor soon hopefully and see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't clear it up then I"m not really sure what else would cause it.
Spike941

Postby ApolloX10 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Are you flicking your wrist at all while firing, or have you given her a beyond thorough cleaning? Stupid questions I know, but I had the same issues you were having and out of nowhere they disapeared once I gave her an intense cleaning (literally sat at my workstation for about two hours+ getting into every bit of her) and stopped using the WWB. Sorry to hear about the issues continuing, she really is a beautiful gun, I was pissed about the issues she gave me the first couple weeks I had her, but once I got passed them, well I wouldn't give her up for anything! Hope you can fix the problems, it's a really great gun!
ApolloX10

Postby harkamus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:25 pm

I put my 941 into storage after having nothing but issues. I've been shooting an HK45 that I bought brand new ever since. I have 1500 rounds through it so far, all flawlessly. No malfunction of any kind. I converted it to LEM trigger and added tritium night sights at 1000 rounds.

941s look cool, but in my experience (7000 rounds worth) are not reliable at all. Do a search under my name for threads started and you can read all about my failures.
harkamus

Postby Spike941 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm

I thoroughly disassembled and cleaned the extractor which seemed to have done the job. Went two weeks ago, 200 rounds of Federal ammo and not one jam. I shot it and my brother did also who has not shot any kind of pistol in 20 yrs so it wasn't an issue of how it was being held or something like that. I'll take it out again soon but that's kind of funny a good cleaning and not one jam after it had jammed up every time I have taken it previously.
Spike941

Postby mattyj513 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Was there tons of gunk under the extractor? Mine was loaded, after cleaning both my Jerichos I actually had a small pile of crap just from under the extractors.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby ApolloX10 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Haha, that's how I felt after I gave mine an intense cleaning (Prior to dropping in a DPM spring/guide rod). I've cleaned around the extractor, as per mattyj513's recommendations, haven't quite gotten around to cleaning the extractor claw's channel just yet though (I'm a little nervous as I have been having trouble hammering out the extractor pin and don't want to break anything) but yea, it's crazy how much of a difference a little extra time cleaning makes. Also I recently picked up a DPM recoil reduction system, which has made using the federal champion rounds a bit annoying, giving me a few stove pipes, Remington UMC have also given a few FTEs, of course no where near as bad as the ones I used to get all the time last year. I've also noticed that after about 200 rounds the slide would not lock back after emptying a mag. Hotter higher pressure loads seem to cycle just fine, and lock back the slide. I figured it was the new spring and guide rod. I just ordered 1000 rounds of over production Winchester 9mm NATO so I'll let you guys know how that goes. Mattyj513, I know you've put a lot of time into your Jerichos, did you ever drop in the DPM recoil reduction system? if so did you see similar extraction issues and slide issues? Was there a break in period, and what kind of ammo are you running?
ApolloX10

Postby mattyj513 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:49 pm

I have the DPM for both Jerichos (midsize 45 and fullsize 40 (with barrels for 9mm 41 and 357 sig)) and only really use my reloads. The 45 I have shot some Winchester White box with the DPM with no problems, and my 45 loads are slightly hotter than a mid level load, but definitely nothing crazy. In the 45 my slide no longer locks back on empty, it seems that the heavier spring has beaten the hell out of the slide stop pin, but no other problems. I also have a ton of rounds through the 45, so the slide stop may have been an inevitable wear point. In the fullsize, 40 works fine with the DPM, the 9mm and 357 sig dont like it much though. Again, all slightly above mid level loads, but I load flat point 357 sigs and 9mms and they tend to nose up every couple rounds, failing to feed into the chamber. I think it is a combination of the bullet profile and the heavier spring assembly, because they work fine with the factory spring. I have shot a few boxes of round nose 9mm with the DPM with no issues. The 41ae I have not used with the DPM, as they may be hotter than it is rated for and I don't want to mess it up. I didnt really notice any kind of break in period for the DPM assembly.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Jericho