Text Size

Jericho

Jericho Extracting Issues

IWI's famous pistol. Has been imported to the US by Charles Daly/KBI, Magnum Research, and Mossberg under various names.

Re: Jericho Extracting Issues

Postby hal1955 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:10 pm

Make sure the chamber is clean.
Polishing the chamber helps.
Using an undersize loading die can help
Make sure your brass is clean.Polish before loading.
Make sure the ammo has enough power to completely cycle the slide OR use a reduced power recoil spring.
Make sure you use good brass.
Make sure that there is no sharp edge on the top cartridge in the mag cuz it can cause a stovepipe when the cartridge being extracted slides over it.Remove the edge with a VERY light crimp.
Polish the loaded ammo in corn cob media to clean it.
Make sure the breech face is clean.
Make sure the extractor channel is clean.
Perhaps try a Woolf extra power extractor spring.
Perhaps try a new extractor as a last resort.
The ejector profile can also be changed but don't go there unless you REALLY know what you are doing.
Use clean fast burning powders like Hodgdon Clays and Vihtavouri 320 for 9mm.
I've loaded hundreds of thousnds of rounds for 75 pattern pistols and these are my observations.
hal1955

Postby Nomad » Tue May 22, 2012 1:12 am

thanks hal most of these seem like common sense PM to me but thats a great way to throw all possibilities out there and eliminate many potential problems. I havnt seen this particular problem i have on the site so i ll start a new thread.
Nomad

Postby Nomad » Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi ,
I am an owner of a new (2011) full size 40 baby eagle/jericho .
This gun is great, i love how it feels and shoots. I have had NO JAMS from this gun in about 300 rounds . but it seems like the last round of almost every mag is getting chewed up and sometimes just falling out of the mag well when i take the mag out. NO JAMS just the last round. could this be from having the mags left loaded to full capacity or maybe a recoil spring issue? im probably going to buy a wolf spring to see if it helps but should i try a heavier or lighter spring ? Next time I go shooting I will try loading just one round into the mag and seeing if it chews up the brass on the lock back like it seems to be doing now.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Nomad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nomad

Postby rat907 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:59 am

You stated that it was a 9mm/41AE conversion gun?

It maybe be that the wrong spring is installed in the firearm. The 41AE is a much more powerful round compared to the 9mm requiring a stiffer spring. This would speed up the action timing causing the stovepipe (pic 1) and feeding before clearing the empty from the chamber (pic 2). This is only a guess, but worth looking into.

Also you stated that the gun was never fired from the previous owner?

Some guns require a break-in period to settle into itself. Not that a Jericho needs one, but it is still under the famed 500 round reliability test before "I bet my life on it".
Basically, the "test" is a case of your choice ammo through the firearm. This is the break-in period and also highlights problems you don't need when you need the gun most.

A trip to your trusted gun smithy for a going over and cleaning is in order, just make sure they are familiar with the CZ design.

Also on the original and after market magazines. If any of you remember the Browning Hi-Power, a 13 round 9mm and previous sidearm of the British military. They were having simular problems with their 9mm slab side. Their solution was to load down by one round (12 instead of 13) in the mag. This all but eliminated most of their reliabilty problems.

I practice a simular mag exercise with all my non-revolver guns. The factory mags are rated at 12 rounds, I load only 10. The MEC-GAR EAA Witness ones are rated for 16 rounds, I also load only 10 in those. I haven't had one bobble on the range..... yet from this practice.
Just another clown with guns™
אני תומך בישראל ואנשים שלה

In War: Victory, In Peace: Diligence, In Death: Sacrifice

rat907

Postby Spike941 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks for the advise rat907. I kind of thought that also about the break in period if the previous owner had never shot it. For all I know it could have been fired just a handful of times since the original person purchased it. I put about 200 more rounds through it last Sat. and 3 different people shot it and not one issue, flawless. Got to shoot a 1911 .45 finally too, awesome. I have not been loading the magazines up to full capacity either. Mostly in part because the new springs I got for them are so damn tough by the time I get to 14 it's near impossible to feed another two in. I usually keep them around 10 though.

Now as far as cleaning your guns, I just do the general break down...take the slide off and barrel/spring out and thoroughly clean it. Do any of you completely disassemble your guns and clean them? I'm just asking because getting the extractor in after taking it apart by myself was a total pain, I can't imagine doing that very often.
Spike941

Postby mattyj513 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:00 pm

I remove the firing pin and extractor every 1k rounds or so for a more thorough cleaning, but its probably not super necessary, I am just very meticulous.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby poobear1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:07 pm

This is my first time posting my name is Poobear1; any way I love .40 Baby Desert Eagle

,but I had the misfortune of my extractor breaking, from reading the other posts it sounds

like this pistol definitely has extraction issues. I am firing my pistol again and it

will jam with cheap practice ammo but other than that it works fine now. Thanks for the

posts there really helpful.
poobear1

Postby wex » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 pm

I am also having very similar issues with my KBI 9mm extracting. I just recently cleaned out the extractor channel and it seems like it cut the FTE's in half, but i'm still getting FTE's and the occasional stove pipe.

After cleaning most recently I have found that my extractor may very well be loose. When the slide is off of the pistol and I insert a round into the extractor it simply falls loose if I turn the slide over. Could this be the problem? If so can anyone link me to where I can find a replacement extractor hopefully with a tighter grab on the rim of the cartridge? Thanks!

Edit: http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/upperparts.html
Only seems to have extractors for the .45 ACP? :?
wex

Postby mattyj513 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:39 am

If it is loose it may be that the spring is either missing or damaged. See if the spring is still there.
"You cannot put a rope around the neck of an idea.
You cannot put an idea against a barrack wall and riddle it with bullets.

You cannot confine it in the strongest prison that your slaves could ever build."
- Sean O'Casey
mattyj513
Site Admin

Postby wex » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:18 pm

The extractor spring is definitely still there, with some good tension to it still. The extractor claw just doesn't seem to have that great of a grip(if any) on the rim of the casing. It's pretty much too large of a gap between the extractor claw and breech face.

Update: Just got back from the range with a wolf extra power extractor spring installed and the pad of the extractor filed down.
(http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=30669.0)

Shot through 100rds 115gr Blazer with around 2 stovepipes.
Shot through 100rds 115gr Remington umc with around 6-8 combined fte's/ftf. 2 of which were fte's.
Keep in mind I used 4 magazines, 2 which seem to have more malfunctions than others.

Either it started jamming up as it got more dirty, or it doesn't like Remington UMC. Or maybe that the extraction issues are clearing up making other issues become more apparent.
Still, I have cut down the malfunctions from what I used to have by around 70%

Next I am going to be buying new magazines as I have no idea how old the ones I'm currently using are and i had more ftf's than fte's this time.. If that doesn't work, depending on the malfunctions, I'll be getting a new recoil spring,(mine is captured). If all else fails I'll be tuning the extractor a bit more. Lastly I have a brand new Tanfolgio extractor collecting dust.
wex

PreviousNext

Return to Jericho