Text Size

Jericho

941 is simply not smooth - is it me or the gun?

IWI's famous pistol. Has been imported to the US by Charles Daly/KBI, Magnum Research, and Mossberg under various names.

941 is simply not smooth - is it me or the gun?

Postby beagley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:09 am

The Info:
Jericho 941 Polymer Compact 9mm - purchased new, 400 rounds shot. All Tanfoglio mags.

I shoot with 2-3 rounds loaded per mag with mandatory reloads on the course, 3-5 mags depending on how friends have the course planned out.

First and foremost, I love this weapon system. I love most every feature on it, but I have had a few small issues develop. Not sure if these are normal, or if it's just me.

I am having constant issues with racking the gun. If I don't lube the lugs that hold the slide within 48 hours prior to going shooting, it will dry out and feel like I have sand inside of it. It's very rough mechanically. I feel like I have to overlube specifically those parts the day I go to the range for best performance. I also lube the entirety of the slide's grooves to ensure best operation. I have tried the weapon with very little lube, lots of lube, and 3 different brands now. None of them have seemed to fix the issue.

It would be a non issue if this wasn't leading to the occasional, every 30 rounds or so, malfunction. FTF, slide not fully closed, stovepipe etc. Have tried 4 different ammos now, RemUMC, PPU, HydraShok (my daily carry round) and wolf. All have shown the same malfunctions.

Aside from that, I'm having issues with the slide mounted safety. When i'm trying to run the gun against the clock I have trouble getting good purchase on the slide. The grooves are deep, yes, but the safety has cut my hand. If I grab the top of the slide with my palm at the base of my thumb, and my index/middle finger folded over to the other safety, the safety lever digs into my hand. I've got a pretty deep gash healing up right now. This has happened three times now. If I could only move it, that would be ideal, or purchase a smaller safety lever.

Thoughts? Would a new/upgrade recoil spring fix these issues?
beagley

Re: 941 is simply not smooth - is it me or the gun?

Postby boscoman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Since no one else has chimed in I will give you my 2 cents on this. Most of my time has been spent with Bul handguns more than with my Jericho. They are basically of the CZ design also, but the Bul doesn't have a slide mounted safety.I have found that a recoil kit did help with both pistols. I am at times inclined to think the the CZ design of having the slide in the frame at times requires more lubrication. I use Balistol & have had good luck with it.
As to the safety, that is one of my dislikes about the Jericho. I don't like the safety on the slide. While it's nice to have a de-cocker, I can live without it, that 1st trigger pull is just too heavy for me. So don't know what to tell you as far as that is concerned, except that when I put a new mag in & the slide is back I always use the slide release instead of pulling back on the slide manually.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

A quote by the Great Genghis Khan to Islam "I am the flail of God.If you had not committed great sins, God would have not sent a punishment like me upon you"
boscoman

Postby scriptguru » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:51 pm

beagley, looks like the problem is in the gun. I never had such problems with my Jericho. Looks like some parts in yours are not fitted well enought, or not finished well enough. My Jericho works flawlessly with no lube at all, or with any amount of lube, and it was like this from the very beginning. Works perfectly with any rounds I've tried (and I've tried like 10 or 15 types of them).

I'd recommend you to show the gun to a gunsmith or request a warranty repair.
scriptguru

Postby warbird1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:21 pm

My .40 has been smooth since day one. I use Breakfree LP. Late to the conversation I know.
warbird1

Return to Jericho