Text Size

AR-15

So I want to build an AR...

So I want to build an AR...

Postby DangerousFat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:03 pm

So, I have expensive taste. At first I wanted an SL8-6 to convert into a G36 clone, but I don't have $3000+ for that. Then I was thinking about getting something in .308, so I found Kel-Tec's RFB and it's very sweet but still like $1900. So, I've decided that I'd like to build my own AR in .308. I would like to build a majority of it myself, at least the simple things. This will be my first rifle that wasn't a .22 and the first gun I've ever built. I would like to do more than just buy a complete upper and lower and snap them together, but I obviously don't want to build it up from every individual spring and pin and I certainly don't want to HAVE to mill anything. I can handle some hole punching, I have no problem buying a few specific tools and whatnot either.

So, I was wondering if people can point me to some good AR-15 guides, I've seen a few but I'm not keen on them I figured someone had to know a good one. Also, where does everyone get their AR parts from? I've heard of the fabled "inexpensive" AR parts, but unless my choosing .308 counters that, I'm not seeing them. lol My goal is to build the rifle itself as close to a grand as possible, preferably under. Optics and other neat accessories can come later unless I can squeeze them in there with that price restraint.

As for what I'm looking for the rifle to do... I was thinking something that's a nice blend of battle rifle and target/plinker. I don't want the standard AR and I don't want a sniper rifle, but something nice and in the middle would be cool.

Thanks in advance
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Re: So I want to build an AR...

Postby DangerousFat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:53 am

Are AR's not that popular here? lol
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Postby wickersham » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Building can be fun, especially if you don't mind the stigma of a "Frankenstein" rifle. I prefer Colt personally for quailty, reliability, resale, etc.

www.ar15.com has entire section devoted to builds - would definitely check out the info there for what you are wanting to do.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby DangerousFat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:14 pm

I'm looking into DPMS because I want one chambered in .308. DPMS is good right?
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Postby L5K » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:41 pm

It really depends on who you ask. To the internet commando's, if it isn't the brand they devoted their dollars to, then no, it's the worst choice you could make. I have handled and shot many DPMS rifles and they all worked great in my opinion. I have also handled and fired a few frankenguns, and they all worked great as well. Neither felt better than the other. I've never shot any of the "top tier" manufacturers for AR's. From my experience, it gets to a point where more money gets you a debatably cooler logo, but not necessarily a "better" rifle. Perhaps the metal will be smoother and the finish more even, but functionality will be the same past a certain point.
"It is a mistake to suppose that all men want to be free. On the contrary, if freedom entails responsibility, many of them want none of it." -Theodore Darymple
L5K

Postby DangerousFat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 pm

In my experience and research, the shooter and the ammo make as much difference as the weapon itself. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't picking one of those brands that seems all nice and professional, but all of their stuff sucks. Everyone may disagree with what's best, they rarely disagree on what's worst. lol
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Postby wickersham » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:22 am

never owned a DPMS upper, but I did use a DPMS lower and parts kit to build an AR years back and had no complaints. Stag Arms and Doublestar make good stuff at decent price points and have a better overall "internet" reputation.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby RAVEN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:46 pm

IMHO ...There isn't anything wrong with DPMS. I have a DPMS SASS chambered in .308. It runs real close to my bolt gun, which is a "tack driver". I don't think you'd be disappointed if you got a DPMS. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

Here's a pic of my rifle (bottom rifle is the SASS)...
LMTDPMS[1].JPG

-RAVEN-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAVEN

Postby DangerousFat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Well, though my dreams of a .308 AR are still dreams, my dad actually picked up an Armalite M15A2, with scope, bipod, and probably a few extra mags from an old friend for $700 in like new condition. He was a lawyer (don't hold that against him) with expensive taste and a tendency to buy things on whim, this was a whim gun of his. lol As soon as I can, I'll take some sub-par iPhone pics for you guys. :)
- James Madison
DangerousFat

Return to AR-15