Text Size

Cherokee

Cherokee/Impact Picture Thread

Formerly known as the "Impact", this quality offering comes from BUL. It is no longer being imported by Legacy Sports so grab one while you can.

Re: Cherokee/Impact Picture Thread

Postby Chava » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:39 pm

Has anyone had the chance to shoot both; the Cherokee full size and compact?

If so, what is your personal opinion of the difference?

Thanks
!!!אני לא בת 50, אני בת 21 עם 29 שנים ניסיון
Chava

Postby Chava » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:00 pm

I don't have the pistol yet, but last wed. I bought a full-size Cherokee from here:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/682146291001.html

They said it would take about a week to get it from their distrib., then 2-3 days to ship to the FFL here. Then the additional 1-week waiting time, so hopefully I'll have it in two weeks!
Chava

Postby Chava » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Still looking for a Jericho though..............

The guy at the gun shop today asked me why I don't just buy a CZ75.

I said, "Because it's not a Jericho!!"
Chava

Postby boscoman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:45 am

I bought my Cherokee from Impact. Was a smooth & easy purchase. You will like the pistol, it is still the most comfortable pistol I have ever handled. Don't forget to post some pics.
Good luck with that Jericho.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

A quote by the Great Genghis Khan to Islam "I am the flail of God.If you had not committed great sins, God would have not sent a punishment like me upon you"
boscoman

Postby Chava » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Finally got my Cherokee (full size) yesterday. (Could have had it a week ago, since the paper work cleared in one day, but the FFL dealer didn't ley me know, oh well....)

So far, all I can say is, "wow! Just wow!"

The fit and feel is just perfect. I have (I guess) average size hands for a girl. My Glock 17 is difficult for me with trigger reach (my hand isn't big enough) but the Cherokee feels great and comfortable!

That's just dry firing. I haven't been to the range yet because it's a 2-hour trip each way. Hope to go by early next week. Can't wait to try this pistol out! I also wanted to clean it first before shooting because it seems to have ALOT of oil internally.

I bought it from Impact Guns, the same place boscoman bought his, so mine looks identical to the pic he posted on page 1 of this thread.

I just now managed to field strip it. I couldn't push the part of the slide stop that sticks out on the opposite side, so I couldn't even get started. That sucker wouldn't move! I finally set it on the corner of a table, pulled the slide back the appropriate distance and used the table as leverage and then used my teeth to pull the slide stop out. After that everything else was super easy.

There really is alot of oil! The barrel, guide rod, slide, spring, is just swimming in it. I'm a newbie so I don't know about these things. Is it normal for a new gun to ship with so much oil? (I didn't strip and clean my Glock before firing the first time. It didn't seem to need it and the pistol had no problems at all).

Since the manual that came with it has, basically, no info, I hope someone here can let me know how much oil I should use after cleaning it? Is this model supposed to have alot of oil? My Glock and Ruger 22/45 manuals both say to NOT use too much oil. The Cherokee manual doesn't say anything at all. (I'm using a CLP).

Anyway, hope all goes well when I finally get to the range. I already love this pistol just holding it and dry firing!
Chava

Postby wickersham » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:03 am

Chava wrote:I just now managed to field strip it. I couldn't push the part of the slide stop that sticks out on the opposite side, so I couldn't even get started. That sucker wouldn't move! I finally set it on the corner of a table, pulled the slide back the appropriate distance and used the table as leverage and then used my teeth to pull the slide stop out. After that everything else was super easy.

Yikes, save your teeth next time :( If the pin is tight, use the bottom of the mag (or similiar hard object) to push it out from the other side.

There really is alot of oil! The barrel, guide rod, slide, spring, is just swimming in it. I'm a newbie so I don't know about these things. Is it normal for a new gun to ship with so much oil? (I didn't strip and clean my Glock before firing the first time. It didn't seem to need it and the pistol had no problems at all).

Yeah, mine was caked in cosmoline/oil subtance. Clean it real good, especially the breachface and under the extractor.

Since the manual that came with it has, basically, no info, I hope someone here can let me know how much oil I should use after cleaning it? Is this model supposed to have alot of oil? My Glock and Ruger 22/45 manuals both say to NOT use too much oil. The Cherokee manual doesn't say anything at all. (I'm using a CLP).

I oil it just like a jericho and have had good luck. A little bit of CLP where metal meets metal should do.

Anyway, hope all goes well when I finally get to the range. I already love this pistol just holding it and dry firing!

How is your trigger in double-action mode? mine was a little gritty at first, but smoothed out quite well.
אוי אל רשע! זה יהיה חולה איתו: עבור גמול של ידיו תינתן לו.
wickersham

Postby boscoman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:41 am

To add to what wickersham said, don't use ur teeth! The bottom of the mag can also be used to "hook" & pull the slide release lever out once you push the pin out from the rt side. All metal to metal surfaces should be oiled.
I find that the pistol shoots best & I carry mine, hammer back, safety on just as one would do with a 1911 or Browning High Power (condition 1). That way it always shoots single action, 1st time every time.
Enjoy the pistol. It is a joy to shoot.

A quote by the Great Genghis Khan to Islam "I am the flail of God.If you had not committed great sins, God would have not sent a punishment like me upon you"
boscoman

Postby Chava » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Thank you to you both. I really appreciate the advice!

I cleaned everything and very lightly "oiled" (CLP) all metal to metal parts. Hope I used enough and didn't go too light. Going to try to squeeze in some range time tomorrow, but that means I'll have to go to the synagogue straight from the range. There's armed security, but no bomb dogs, so all should be okay.

"wickersham wrote: How is your trigger in double-action mode? mine was a little gritty at first, but smoothed out quite well."

I haven't been to the range yet, so have only dry fired. In DA mode the trigger reach is too far for me, and too heavy to try to pull.

"boscoman wrote: I find that the pistol shoots best & I carry mine, hammer back, safety on just as one would do with a 1911 or Browning High
Power (condition 1)."

Thanks for letting me know! Due to my small hand size, that's the way I would carry too. When I said how much I loved the fit and feel of the Cherokee, I was talking about SA mode. It was/is so great to be able to comfortably reach the trigger while holding the grip properly! I just can't wait to get to the range and try it out with live ammo!

Chava

Postby boscoman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Being that you have small hands, a technique that I use is to release the safety with my left thumb (I am right handed) as I bring the pistol up when shooting from the holster. It is basically the same move as using the thumb to release the slide. I also have relatively small hands & find that this is easier than trying to get my shooting hand thumb up to the safety. Just something that might work for you when shooting two handed.

boscoman

Previous

Return to Cherokee